List:MySQL++« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gelu Date:April 29 2002 3:29pm
Subject:Re: Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: <lance@stripped>
To: The Lazy Fox <lazyfox@stripped>
Cc: Andreas Krueger <lists@stripped>; <plusplus@stripped>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 4:57 PM

> Since there have been no other postings from someone with my experience,
> let it be said that I have no problems with the C++ API and am very
> thankful that I can program at this high-level and not at the much more

> involved and ugly low-level C API.
... it might be ... but it's very,very sure.

 >This has been my experience with i
> for over two years and several applications.  The C++ API is well-designed
> and works great!  Now, it is true that I'm running linux, and perhaps the
> previously-posted explanation below explains the others' troubles
> (it wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn MS compilers can't handle
> templates correctly).  -Lance.
>
> The Lazy Fox wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Andreas Krueger wrote:
> >
> > > c) It doesn't seem to be sufficiently stable and tested
> > > -> Installing it and getting it running seems to be
> > >    VERY difficult (not only but also on Windows):
> > >    my experiences, yours and those of many others.
> > > -> It works only with a small set of compilers - why?
> > >    OK, it takes some time to learn plattform-independent C++,
> > >    but up to now, I got ALL of my projects compiled on
> > >    VisualC++, GCC and HP-Unix C++! More than 10000 lines of code.
> > > -> e.g.: (At least on Windows) the SSQLS are said
> > >    (by lazyfox who did the porting to VC++ 6)
> > >    to be buggy or not-functioning.
> > >    But that is not mentioned anywhere in the manual!
> >
> > i have said this over and over again, but people appear not to be
> > listening and twisting my words:
> >
> > the main version of mysql++ (1.7.9) works fine under the unix platforms
as
> > far as i know. SSQLS, all template functions, etc, are all working
> > correctly under it!
> >
> > the mysql++ version which i ported to VC++ (1.7.1) has, on the other
hand,
> > a number of bugs. these bugs are purely caused by the fact that VC++
can't
> > handle the amount of templates in mysql++. this is purely a fault of
> > microsoft's compiler which doesn't adhere to ANSI C++ standards, not of
> > the programmers of mysql++. these bugs can only be solved by rewriting
all
> > these templates, which is not a simple task.
> >
> > here is a list of bugs that are known to me IN THE VISUAL C++ VERSION
> > ONLY:
> >
> > - the SSQLS are working, but only if you use relatively small structs
> > (smaller than 16 i believe) and use vectors for storing the data.
> > otherwise VC++ bugs out and gives an internal compiler error.
> > - the auto-quoting system doesn't work when doing queries (also due to
> > template problems). this can be worked around by just adding quotes
> > manually to your query/data strings.
> > - VC++ has support for longlongs, but no ANSI functions that support
this
> > type (like strtoll), so this type isn't really supported under VC++
> >
> > furthermore, i want to say that i'm not officially connected to MySQL
AB.
> > i'm just somebody who did a C++ project under VC++ and needed mysql
> > support. i found out about mysql++, which was just what i needed. but to
> > my disappointment only unix and borland platforms were supported.
> > however, instead of whining to the programmers about this, i ported it
> > VC++ myself, originally only for use with my own project. because i only
> > needed its basic functionality i didn't really care to test its more
complex
> > functions (the basic functionality is really working quite fine).
> > later i thought that there might be more people who wanted a VC++
version
> > of MySQL++, so i posted my port to the maintainer of mysql++ who put the
> > package on the website.
> > now, since i finished my project, i'm not really doing anything with
> > mysql++ anymore, which means that i'm not going to fix the bugs in the
> > VC++ version unless somebody employs me for it.
> >
> > so, basically, if you want a VC++ version of mysql++ without these bugs,
> > please feel free to just take the code and fix it. it isn't open-source
> > for nothing after all.
> >
> > however, what i can't stand is that somebody, who encountered these bugs
> > in my CONTRIBUTED VC++ version, goes screaming around that mysql++ is a
> > completely bad product because of that.
> > if you want to use the C version, by all means do that. if you want to
use
> > the VC++ version without bugs, go contribute a new one!
> >
> > lazyfox.
>
> --
> -=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=-
> Lance Welsh              lance@stripped
> Seascape Communications  (650) 327-6890
> -=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=-

Thread
Problem with mysql++ patchDenis Rampnoux25 Apr
  • Re: Problem with mysql++ patchSinisa Milivojevic25 Apr
  • Re: Problem with mysql++ patchDenis Rampnoux25 Apr
    • Re: Problem with mysql++ patchSinisa Milivojevic26 Apr
  • Re: Problem with mysql++ patchDenis Rampnoux26 Apr
    • Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)Andreas Krueger28 Apr
      • RE : Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)Rémy Baudet29 Apr
        • Re: RE : Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)Mathieu DESPRIEE29 Apr
        • Re: RE : Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)Mathieu DESPRIEE29 Apr
      • Re: Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)The Lazy Fox29 Apr
        • Re: Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)lance29 Apr
          • RE : Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)Rémy Baudet29 Apr
            • Re: RE : Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)The Lazy Fox29 Apr
        • Re: Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)Gelu29 Apr
      • RE: Don't use MySQL++ ! (was: Problem with mysql++ patch)Keith MacDonald29 Apr