MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:MySQL and Perl« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dave Howorth Date:June 21 2005 8:50am
Subject:DBD::mysql anonymous user problem
View as plain text
I'm trying to upgrade DBD::mysql and having trouble with the anonymous
user for the test database. When I run the install the tests fail with
messages like:

   DBI connect('test','',...) failed: Access denied for user:
   'root@localhost' (Using password: NO) at t/50chopblanks.t line 57
   Cannot connect: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using
   password: NO)
         Either your server is not up and running or you have no
         permissions for acessing the DSN DBI:mysql:test.
         This test requires a running server and write permissions.
         Please make sure your server is running and you have
         permissions, then retry.

According to the mysql manual:

"The DBD::mysql installation runs a number of tests. These tests require
being able to connect to the local MySQL server as the anonymous user
with no password. If you have removed anonymous accounts or assigned
them passwords, the tests fail."

I haven't changed the anonymous user accounts AFAIK. I did add some
extra accounts. My mysql.user table  looks like this:

mysql> select host,user,password,select_priv from user;
+--------------------+----------------+------------------+-------------+
| host               | user           | password         | select_priv |
+--------------------+----------------+------------------+-------------+
| localhost          | root           | 5b3e0551192fc0ec | Y           |
| suse3.lmb.internal | root           | 5b3e0551192fc0ec | Y           |
| localhost          |                |                  | N           |
| suse3.lmb.internal |                |                  | N           |
| %                  | test           | 378b243e220ca493 | N           |
| %                  | test@localhost | 378b243e220ca493 | N           |
| localhost          | test           | 378b243e220ca493 | N           |
+--------------------+----------------+------------------+-------------+
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

There's also a user comment on the mysql manual:

"Note that if you've been a good doobie and already changed the root
password then the DBD::mysql tests will fail."

This fits my circumstances; I have indeed given root a password and a
.my.cnf file. I don't want to take it away again - it seems pretty
tedious if I have to change root's password every time I want to upgrade
modules that use mysql.

Is the user comment correct and if so, is there anything I can do to
make test installation work as normal? I don't understand why changing
root's password affects the anonymous user.

This is on SuSE 9.2 (mysql 4.0.21-Max, perl v5.8.5 built for
x86_64-linux-thread-multi)

Thanks, Dave

Thread
DBD::mysql anonymous user problemDave Howorth21 Jun
  • Re: DBD::mysql anonymous user problemRudy Lippan21 Jun
    • Re: DBD::mysql anonymous user problemDave Howorth21 Jun
Re: DBD::mysql anonymous user problemDave Howorth21 Jun
  • Re: DBD::mysql anonymous user problemMichael Stassen21 Jun
    • Re: DBD::mysql anonymous user problemDave Howorth23 Jun