MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robin H. Johnson Date:November 9 2010 6:41pm
Subject:Re: Removal of the autotools-based build system
View as plain text
On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 04:28:03PM -0200, Davi Arnaut wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> On 11/9/10 4:20 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 10:39:07AM -0200, Davi Arnaut wrote:
> >> - Do you maintain tools/scripts that rely on autotools-specific files?
> >  From the Gentoo perspective, all the prime thing we need is a good set of
> > mappings from the old --with and --enable options to the new CMake
> > declarations. All of the stock cmake support we have ready to go.
>
> For 5.5, we are shipping with a ./configure emulator that translates
> some of the configure arguments to their CMake equivalents. We are also
> hopeful that we can remove this emulator in later versions. In any case,
> we are available to help with the transition.
Yes, we've got 5.5.4_alpha_pre3 available using the emulator already.
We just need the actual mapping for AC_ARG_WITH/AC_ARG_ENABLE settings,
so we can translate that into selections we make and the selections
available to end users.

> Nonetheless, certain things will need manual intervention. For example:
> > Here's one of the possible complete configure calls for Gentoo:
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> > --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
> Those have different names in CMake. We are working on documenting them.
If you use the standard CMake names, we'll pick them up directly from
there.

> > --with-low-memory --with-client-ldflags=-lstdc++
> > --enable-thread-safe-client --with-comment='Gentoo Linux mysql-5.1.51-r1'
> We decided to drop non-thread safe client, so the option is not
> necessary anymore.
Can you please explicitly include notes like in the documentation you
prepare?

I think the main thing with the CMake migration document will be the
tristate (disabled/static/dynamic) selection of engines.

For reference only, here's the blocks of Gentoo's build code to convert
system+user selections into the configure arguments:
http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/mysql.git;a=blob;f=eclass/mysql.eclass;h=eebafc006e56116875fefb05634a089b764e4f94;hb=b7a100dbbe9c4fa3e7d889e9e5d92b151b2cbe73#l436
http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/mysql.git;a=blob;f=eclass/mysql.eclass;h=eebafc006e56116875fefb05634a089b764e4f94;hb=b7a100dbbe9c4fa3e7d889e9e5d92b151b2cbe73#l564

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2@stripped

Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut5 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin8 Nov
    • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMARK CALLAGHAN8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin9 Nov
        • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMichal Hrusecky9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemRobin H. Johnson9 Nov