MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michal Hrusecky Date:November 9 2010 12:28pm
Subject:Re: Removal of the autotools-based build system
View as plain text
Davi Arnaut - 10:39  5.11.10 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As many of you probably know, starting with MySQL 5.5 and onwards, the
> build system (for all platforms) has been transitioned to cmake. As of
> the 5.5.5 release, debug and release builds are solely being built with
> cmake. At this point, our main build system is the cmake-based one. With
> this step completed, we are now gathering requirements and preparing for
> the removal [*] of the autotools-based build system.
>
> A initial description of this task is available at:
>
> http://forge.mysql.com/worklog/task.php?id=5665
>
> One important aspect is that this removal will break third-party tools
> or practices that rely on autotools-specific files. For example, some
> tools parse configure.in to extract the server version. Since
> configure.in is going to be removed, those tools need to be upgraded to
> extract this information from a new and specific file (i.e.
> cmake/version.sh).
>
> Given this potential problem, and in order to provide a smooth
> transition for those tools, we would like to know:
>
> - Do you maintain tools/scripts that rely on autotools-specific files?
>
> - If yes, which files and what kind of information is being extracted?
>
> With this information at hand, we will try provide suitable alternatives
> as necessary to make those tools work (with minor adjustments) without
> the autotools-specific files.

We have only build scripts that would need to be rewritten (might be a
good opportunity to clean them up) and I would need to learn CMake
properly, but generally speaking, no real problem on our side.

--
Michal HRUSECKY                                    SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Boosters Team                            Lihovarska 1060/12

Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut5 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin8 Nov
    • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMARK CALLAGHAN8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin9 Nov
        • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMichal Hrusecky9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemRobin H. Johnson9 Nov