MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alex Esterkin Date:November 9 2010 1:28am
Subject:Re: Removal of the autotools-based build system
View as plain text
Hi, Davi,

No, configure.ac and configure.in are NOT the same thing.   If you do not
know the difference, I am not surprised your team had difficulties
maintaining the automake based build system.   A properly  written
configure.ac file is orders of magnitude smaller in size than a comparable
configure.in.

CMake is still quite inferior in architecture and environment detection and
does not provide the same level of multi-prodict integration capabilities.
As an illustration, please, read the following bug entries:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=11375&nbn=1

http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=11303<http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=11303%20>

Regards,

Alex Esterkin

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Davi Arnaut <davi.arnaut@stripped> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>

> On 11/8/10 11:37 AM, Alex Esterkin wrote:
>
>> What you should do is instead of removing configure.in, you should
>> convert
>> it to configure.ac.   Typically, configure.ac files are orders of
>> magnitude
>> smaller than the corresponding configure.in files.
>>

> I'm sorry, but I do not understand your argument. configure.ac and
> configure.in are the same thing. Quoting from the autoconf manual:
>
> "Previous versions of Autoconf promoted the name `configure.in', which is
> somewhat ambiguous (the tool needed to produce this file is not described by
> its extension), and introduces a slight confusion with `config.h.in' and
> so on (for which `.in' means "to be processed by configure"). Using `
> configure.ac' is now preferred."
>

>  I suggest that you:
>>
>>    - Replace configure.in with configure.ac
>>    - Remove configure.in and configure, as they can be generated from
>>    configure.ac
>>

> They are the same thing.
>
>     - Remove all  Makefile files as they can be generated from Makefile.am
>>    files.
>>

> We already do this.
>

>  In conclusion, I have to say that your plans to stop maintaining autotools
>> based make system and to remove it are arrogant and inconsiderate of the
>> MySQL Community.
>>

> How so? We are actually making life easier for others in the community. We
> are unifying everything under a single build system.
>
> Regards,
>
> Davi

Thread
Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut5 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin8 Nov
    • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMARK CALLAGHAN8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin9 Nov
        • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMichal Hrusecky9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemRobin H. Johnson9 Nov