MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Davi Arnaut Date:November 8 2010 1:47pm
Subject:Re: Removal of the autotools-based build system
View as plain text
Hi Alex,

On 11/8/10 11:37 AM, Alex Esterkin wrote:
> What you should do is instead of removing configure.in, you should convert
> it to configure.ac.   Typically, configure.ac files are orders of magnitude
> smaller than the corresponding configure.in files.

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your argument. configure.ac and
configure.in are the same thing. Quoting from the autoconf manual:

"Previous versions of Autoconf promoted the name `configure.in', which
is somewhat ambiguous (the tool needed to produce this file is not
described by its extension), and introduces a slight confusion with
`config.h.in' and so on (for which `.in' means "to be processed by
configure"). Using `configure.ac' is now preferred."

> I suggest that you:
>
>     - Replace configure.in with configure.ac
>     - Remove configure.in and configure, as they can be generated from
>     configure.ac

They are the same thing.

>     - Remove all  Makefile files as they can be generated from Makefile.am
>     files.

We already do this.

> In conclusion, I have to say that your plans to stop maintaining autotools
> based make system and to remove it are arrogant and inconsiderate of the
> MySQL Community.

How so? We are actually making life easier for others in the community.
We are unifying everything under a single build system.

Regards,

Davi
Thread
Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut5 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin8 Nov
    • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMARK CALLAGHAN8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin9 Nov
        • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMichal Hrusecky9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemRobin H. Johnson9 Nov