MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alex Esterkin Date:November 8 2010 1:37pm
Subject:Re: Removal of the autotools-based build system
View as plain text
What you should do is instead of removing configure.in, you should convert
it to configure.ac.   Typically, configure.ac files are orders of magnitude
smaller than the corresponding configure.in files.

I suggest that you:

   - Replace configure.in with configure.ac
   - Remove configure.in and configure, as they can be generated from
   configure.ac
   - Remove all  Makefile files as they can be generated from Makefile.am
   files.

In conclusion, I have to say that your plans to stop maintaining autotools
based make system and to remove it are arrogant and inconsiderate of the
MySQL Community.

Thanks.

Alex Esterkin

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Davi Arnaut <davi.arnaut@stripped> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As many of you probably know, starting with MySQL 5.5 and onwards, the
> build system (for all platforms) has been transitioned to cmake. As of the
> 5.5.5 release, debug and release builds are solely being built with cmake.
> At this point, our main build system is the cmake-based one. With this step
> completed, we are now gathering requirements and preparing for the removal
> [*] of the autotools-based build system.
>
> A initial description of this task is available at:
>
> http://forge.mysql.com/worklog/task.php?id=5665
>
> One important aspect is that this removal will break third-party tools or
> practices that rely on autotools-specific files. For example, some tools
> parse configure.in to extract the server version. Since configure.in is
> going to be removed, those tools need to be upgraded to extract this
> information from a new and specific file (i.e. cmake/version.sh).
>
> Given this potential problem, and in order to provide a smooth transition
> for those tools, we would like to know:
>
> - Do you maintain tools/scripts that rely on autotools-specific files?
>
> - If yes, which files and what kind of information is being extracted?
>
> With this information at hand, we will try provide suitable alternatives as
> necessary to make those tools work (with minor adjustments) without the
> autotools-specific files.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Davi
>
> * Although we initially planned to keep it around a bit longer, its
> maintenance has become a unnecessary burden. The development leaders have
> agreed to proceed with the autotools removal from mysql-trunk and up.

Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut5 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin8 Nov
    • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMARK CALLAGHAN8 Nov
      • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemAlex Esterkin9 Nov
        • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemDavi Arnaut9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemMichal Hrusecky9 Nov
  • Re: Removal of the autotools-based build systemRobin H. Johnson9 Nov