List:Packagers« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:infernix Date:January 26 2004 3:36pm
Subject:Compiling with Intel C++ compiler
View as plain text
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right list, but alas - I have to try. I am
trying to compile mysql for optimal performance, and am trying to use Intels
Linux C++ compiler (v8.0) on a Debian Woody 3.0 system. I can compile fine
(for instance, apt-get --build source pine works with the intel compiler),
but doing the same with MySQL 4.0.16 gives the following error:

checking if /opt/intel_cc_80/bin/icc supports bool types... yes
checking if conversion of longlong to float works... no
configure: error: Your compiler cannot convert a longlong value to a float!
If you are using gcc 2.8.# you should upgrade to egcs 1.0.3 or newer and try
again
make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 1

At first, I also had problems because -fno-implicit-templates doesnt work on
icc; I changed the debian rules file for the mysql package to accomondate
for that. But generally, I'm starting to wonder if this compiles at all.
There are recommendations for pgcc on several MySQL optimization pages, but
you'd suspect that intels compiler should be even faster, since pgcc seems
unmaintained (to me at least).

After feddling with the Debian packages, I've given the source package
(4.0.17) a go. The same results seem to apply:

checking if conversion of longlong to float works... no
configure: error: Your compiler cannot convert a longlong value to a float!
If you are using gcc 2.8.# you should upgrade to egcs 1.0.3 or newer and try
again

Any hints are very welcome - and "that will never work" is an answer too :)

Thanks!

infernix

Thread
Compiling with Intel C++ compilerinfernix26 Jan
  • Re: Compiling with Intel C++ compilerLenz Grimmer28 Jan
    • RE: Compiling with Intel C++ compilerinfernix28 Jan