MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Rapaport Date:February 8 2002 3:05pm
Subject:Re: Distributed Fulltext?
View as plain text
Ooops, factual error:

> > If, say, Google, can search 2 trillion web pages, averaging say 70k
> > bytes each, in 1 second, and Mysql can search 22 million records, with
> > an index on 40 bytes each, in 3 seconds (my experience) on a good day,
> > what's the order of magnitude difference?  Roughly 10^9.

Google has only 2 Billion with a B web pages.

So the order of magnitude difference is only 10^6.  But that still
leaves a mysql Fulltext search a MILLION times slower than Google.

Someone correctly pointed out today that it's not Mysql's job
to be Google, and I agree.  But it seems to me that it would be
fair for mysql to be able to handle searches in under 1 second
for databases 1 millionth the size of Google.  All I want here
is a decent flexible phone book lookup, not a search engine.

-steve

Distributed Fulltext?Brian DeFeyter12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Brian DeFeyter12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Brian DeFeyter12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Alex Aulbach12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?James Montebello12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?George M. Ellenburg12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb
  • Re: Distributed Fulltext?Mike Wexler12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?alec.cawley12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb
  • Re: Distributed Fulltext?Mike Wexler13 Feb
    • Re: Distributed Fulltext?hooker14 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb