MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian DeFeyter Date:February 7 2002 9:22pm
Subject:Re: Distributed Fulltext?
View as plain text
On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 15:40, Tod Harter wrote:
[snip]
> Wouldn't be too tough to write a little query routing system if you are using
> perl. Use DBD::Proxy on the web server side, and just hack the perl proxy
> server so it routes the query to several places and returns a single result
> set. Ordering could be achieved as well. I'm sure there are commercial
> packages out there as well. I don't see why the individual database servers
> would need to do anything special.
[snip]

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you're refering to routing
based on the first character of the word. That would work for cases
where the query is searching for a word that begins with a certain
character.. however fulltext searches also return results with the term
in the middle.

ie: a search for 'foo' could return:
foo.txt
foobar

but also could return:
thisisfoo
that_is_foolish

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that MySQL stores it's
fulltext index based on all the 'unique words' found. For such a system
as you mentioned above, you'd probably have to create your own fulltext
indexing system to determine: a) where to store the data 'segments' and
b) how to route queries.  It seems like this could probably be done much
more efficiently inside of the server.

 - Brian

Distributed Fulltext?Brian DeFeyter12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Brian DeFeyter12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Brian DeFeyter12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Alex Aulbach12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?James Montebello12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?George M. Ellenburg12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb
  • Re: Distributed Fulltext?Mike Wexler12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?alec.cawley12 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb
  • Re: Distributed Fulltext?Mike Wexler13 Feb
    • Re: Distributed Fulltext?hooker14 Feb
Re: Distributed Fulltext?Steve Rapaport12 Feb