List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jules Bean Date:August 10 1999 10:50pm
Subject:Re: how to handle username/password in a db
View as plain text
On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Jerry Preeper wrote:

> Took a quick peek at mod_auth_mysql and I'm not sure that will do the trick
> (because I need to also track if they are are user or admin from page to
> page and make sure they can only do what their access level let's them).  I
> have looked at PHP before and because the way I have users and groups
> structured on this particular site, it opens up way too many potential
> problems to use it.
>
> What I almost need is some sort of routine that handles tracking like an
> online email system does as you go from screen to screen so it knows who
> you are and what you can do.

This is an oft-asked, and many-times answered question.  There's no single
good answer - HTTP is stateless, and all methods of overlaying state on it
have their disadvantages. It's not really a mysql question (although some
of the solutions I've seen use mysql to store state).

One starting point is a perl module called Apache::Session, which works
with mod_perl  - I've never used it, but I remember the author describing
it, and it sounded good stuff.

It might be worth searching around CPAN - there's loads of clever perl
stuff out there..

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@stripped         |  6 Evelyn Rd	       |
|  Jules aka     | jules@stripped              |  Richmond, Surrey   |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@stripped        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |

how to handle username/password in a dbJerry Preeper10 Aug
  • Re: how to handle username/password in a dbDaevid Vincent10 Aug
    • Re: how to handle username/password in a dbJerry Preeper11 Aug
      • Re: how to handle username/password in a dbJules Bean11 Aug
  • Re: how to handle username/password in a dbJay J11 Aug
  • Re: how to handle username/password in a dbAlex Heiphetz11 Aug