MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:DL Neil Date:January 26 2002 5:13pm
Subject:Re: Selecting the row with largest number in a column
View as plain text
Hello Richard,

> I have a simple query, and a problem countless people must have had, I just
> cannot work it out at the moment, I am new to MySQL; I hope you can help.
>
> My current statement looking at the manual.
> SELECT * FROM contacts WHERE age=MAX(age);
>
> I started with:
> mysql> select * from contacts where age=(select MAX(age) from contacts);
>

> In escence I am trying to ascertain the details of the person who is oldest.
>
> Any suggestions.?

Use the ORDER BY clause to show the table's records in inverted age order, then require
only the first row:

SELECT *
  FROM contacts
  ORDER BY age DESC
  LIMIT 1

Regards,
=dn

Thread
Re: [PHP-DB] any good web hosting with php and mysql support?clint 14 Jan
  • Re: [PHP-DB] any good web hosting with php and mysql support? (OT)Mikel King14 Jan
  • Re: [PHP-DB] any good web hosting with php and mysql support? (OT) Vlasyuk Valera14 Jan
RE: [PHP-DB] any good web hosting with php and mysql support?Rick Emery14 Jan
RE: [PHP-DB] any good web hosting with php and mysql support?NCI/IMS)14 Jan
  • RE: [PHP-DB] any good web hosting with php and mysql support?Shannon Kendrick14 Jan
    • Re: [PHP-DB] any good web hosting with php and mysql support? Vlasyuk Valera14 Jan
      • Selecting the row with largest number in a columnRichard Morton25 Jan
        • Re: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnJoseph Bueno25 Jan
        • Re: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnDL Neil25 Jan
          • Re: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnPaul DuBois25 Jan
          • RE: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnButch Bean25 Jan
            • Re: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnDL Neil26 Jan
            • RE: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnRichard Morton28 Jan
              • RE: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnButch Bean28 Jan
                • RE: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnPaul DuBois28 Jan
                  • RE: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnButch Bean28 Jan
                  • RE: Selecting the row with largest number in a columnButch Bean28 Jan
RE: [PHP-DB] any good web hosting with php and mysql support?Rick Emery14 Jan
RE: [PHP-DB] any good web hosting with php and mysql support?Boaz Yahav17 Jan