List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kelly Yancey Date:August 3 1999 10:12pm
Subject:RE: mysql vs. text file
View as plain text

  This may not be an option for you (because it requires unix and php) but
when doing the Team FreeBSD members listing at
http://www.posi.net/freebsd/Team-FreeBSD/members/ the information only
updates once a day (like you describe fro your site). For the maximum speed,
I wrote a file using php that generated a web page exactly the way I wanted
(in my case, it is at
http://www.posi.net/freebsd/Team-FreeBSD/members/index-template.phtml; but
rather than directing users to that page (there are no links to it
whatsoever), each morning a script runs the wget utility to fetch the URL of
the php web page and saves it at to the web site as index.html.
  That way, I get the ease of php for database-generated web pages, but the
speed of serving a static file. You simply can't beat it!

  Now if I only had a way to run a file though the php processing engine
without going through the web server...that would be really slick (and a
much 'cleaner' solution.

  Kelly
 ~kbyanc@stripped~
  FreeBSD - The Power To Serve - http://www.freebsd.org/
  Join Team FreeBSD - http://www.posi.net/freebsd/Team-FreeBSD

Thread
mysql and excelStuart D Jackson3 Aug
  • Re: mysql and excelSteve Ruby3 Aug
  • RE: mysql and excelMichael Robinson3 Aug
    • mysql and excelFRed3 Aug
    • RE: mysql vs. text fileEe Loon3 Aug
      • Re: mysql vs. text fileChristian Mack3 Aug
      • RE: mysql vs. text fileKelly Yancey4 Aug
        • Re: mysql vs. text fileMartin Ramsch4 Aug
          • Re: mysql vs. text fileSteve Edberg4 Aug
            • PHP as CGI script (was: mysql vs. text file)Martin Ramsch4 Aug
              • RE: PHP as CGI script (was: mysql vs. text file)Kelly Yancey4 Aug
                • Locking problem?Arlen Greer4 Aug
                  • Re: Locking problem?Patrick Sherrill4 Aug
                    • RE: Locking problem?Arlen Greer5 Aug
                      • Re: Locking problem?Christian Mack5 Aug
RE: mysql and excelWilliam D. Webber3 Aug
Re: mysql and excelRalph Graulich4 Aug
RE: Locking problem?Quentin Bennett5 Aug