MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ralph Graulich Date:August 3 1999 8:08pm
Subject:Re: Best way to move database
View as plain text
Hi,

>We're running a Mysql 3.22 database on computer 1.
>We're going to move it to a bigger better computer, computer 2.
>What's the best way to move the database.  We can, if needed turn the Mysql
>off.

Stopping the mysqld is not necessary in your case. Simply use the mysqldump
program to get your tables extracted. In the cases I used it, I simply took:

mysqldump --host=hostname --password=password --port=3306 --complete-insert
--lock-tables database > database.dumpfile

The port=3306 part can be omitted, if you only have one mysqld running on
your system. It is needed in my case however, cause I have two different
versions of mySQL running on the same machine.

You should also consider using the --quick option, which directly dumps to
stdout (redirected to a file in our case), preventing the machine from
eating up to much RAM and swap, if the dumping query gets rather large. Had
a machine at work getting frantic whilst dumping, after it ate up 1.2 GB of
swap space and didn't write a single byte of data to the outfile yet :-)

Good luck whilst moving!

Regards
... Ralph ...

Ralph Graulich, Hasengrund 22, 77654 Offenburg, - GERMANY -
Tel    +49 781 41517 (priv.)      +49 781 504 4003 (office)
Fax    +49 781 41518 (priv.)      +49 781 504 4099 (office)

private homepage            http://graulich.baden-online.de
thoroughbred stud Karlshof          http://www.karlshof.com
horse breeding pages                 http://www.gestuete.de

How to use the value from a query?Silicon Ghost3 Aug
  • Re: How to use the value from a query?Paul DuBois3 Aug
  • Best way to move databaseWayne Spivak3 Aug
    • Best way to move databaseJani Tolonen3 Aug
    • Re: Best way to move databaseRalph Graulich4 Aug
    • Re: Best way to move databasetonu-mysql4 Aug