MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Patrick Wirz Date:July 7 1999 12:21am
Subject:Re: keyword search data structure
View as plain text

>From: Sasha Pachev <sasha@stripped>
> > What would be the best (i.e. fastest, most efficient) way to assign
about 5
> > keywords to items in a catalog in order to search? Here's the scenario:
> >
> > I've got a database of images. I'd like to assign around 5 words
describing
> > what's in each image to enable searching. The database of images is used
> > create catalog pages (via PHP) so speed is very important.
> >
> > I seem to remember a discussion similar to this a few months ago but
> > couldn't find it in the archives.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Pat
> >

> create table keywords ( id mediumint not null primary key, word
> char(15));
> create table img_keyword( img_id int not null, keyword_id mediumint not
> null);
>
> --

Ok, I can see that this is probably the best solution space-wise and
speed-wise, but let me ask a follow-up question. How poor would the
performance be if you just added a CHAR field to the first table about 30-40
characters long with the keywords in one string (and then do a sub-string
search on that field)? I would guess that you wouldn't want to index that
field so it would be slower, but how much slower? You can also assume that
the number of images in the table would never exceed 1000. I'm just trying
to think of ways to keep everything as simple as possible.

Thanks,
Pat

Thread
Re: Text Field Sizes and PHP (was: Access -> myODBC or -> textfile?)jawarren23 Jun
  • Re: Text Field Sizes and PHP (was: Access -> myODBC or ->textfile?)Mike Hanney23 Jun
    • keyword search data structurePatrick Wirz6 Jul
    • Re: keyword search data structureSasha Pachev7 Jul
    • Re: keyword search data structurePatrick Wirz7 Jul
    • Re: keyword search data structureSasha Pachev8 Jul