List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:chas Date:July 6 1999 9:27pm
Subject:Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?
View as plain text
Sincere thanks to everyone (Suresh, Jon, Scott, Vivek, Karl, Kelly, Don)
for the valuable input - many seem to be hammering MySQL on FreeBSD with
loads that outweigh my own estimates for the upcoming year... and using
comparable hardware. So, I feel confident enough to stick with FBSD
since I'm more comfortable with it for the reasons mentioned by Don :
can't afford to go with what will be more of an unknown platform for
myself (not just in terms of MySQL but all services).

Thank you very much,

chas

>On 30-Jun-99 Karl Pielorz wrote:
>> Kelly Yancey wrote:
>>>   I have seen the same comments on this mail list that I believe you are
>>> alluding to. I would like to add to the record, that I have *never* had
any
>>> problem with MySQL. I installed it from the FreeBSD ports collection
and it
>>> has served me reliably ever since.
>>
>> Same here... We have run it on a number of different boxes (from
2.2.7-8, 3.0
>> and now FreeBSD -current). Native threads are a winner over MIT threads,
and
>> egcs from -current can squeeze a bit more out the executable with
>> optimizations.
>
>According to the freebsd-hackers and stable lists there is some fluff-ness
>in the thread code that is aggravated by MySQL.
>
>A update to the code was put into the -current for testing and comment
earlier
>this week, and will be back-ported to -stable when ready.
>
>as for the original poster (chas) I'd say go for setting up the new box w/
>apache and mail, and cvsup the 3.2-stable a couple of weeks from now
>(expecting the code is in by then), and then move your MySQL server over.
>

>>        Performance on our database (~5 million records spread over
>> around 300-400 tables) has been staggering, in some cases quite scary :-)
>> (Especially compared to other SQL servers we have tried).
>>
><aol>me too</aol>
>Same-o here, no problems. But enuf folks have had problems that I would be a
>bit skittish of moving from a known production box to a (possible) unknown.
>
>Regards,
>---
>Don Read                                 dread@stripped
>EDP Manager                                  dread@stripped
>Calcasieu Lumber Co.                               Austin TX
>-- But I'm in good company, sendmail has kicked a great many
>     butts in the past

mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul