MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rus Date:February 6 2001 2:58pm
Subject:Re: Error creating tables
View as plain text
in manual:
DECIMAL[(M[,D])] [ZEROFILL]
An unpacked floating-point number. Cannot be unsigned. Behaves like a CHAR
column: ``unpacked'' means the number is stored as a string, using one
character for each digit of the value. The decimal point and, for negative
numbers, the `-' sign, are not counted in M (but space for these are
reserved). If D is 0, values will have no decimal point or fractional part.
The maximum range of DECIMAL values is the same as for DOUBLE, but the
actual range for a given DECIMAL column may be constrained by the choice of
M and D. If D is left out it's set to 0. If M is left out it's set to 10.
Note that in MySQL Version 3.22 the M argument had to includes the space
needed for the sign and the decimal point.

NUMERIC(M,D) [ZEROFILL]
This is a synonym for DECIMAL.
I suppose that M and D is not optional parameters for NUMERIC type.