List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Don Read Date:July 1 1999 2:53pm
Subject:Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?
View as plain text
On 30-Jun-99 Karl Pielorz wrote:
> Kelly Yancey wrote:
>>   I have seen the same comments on this mail list that I believe you are
>> alluding to. I would like to add to the record, that I have *never* had any
>> problem with MySQL. I installed it from the FreeBSD ports collection and it
>> has served me reliably ever since.
>
> Same here... We have run it on a number of different boxes (from 2.2.7-8, 3.0
> and now FreeBSD -current). Native threads are a winner over MIT threads, and
> egcs from -current can squeeze a bit more out the executable with
> optimizations.

According to the freebsd-hackers and stable lists there is some fluff-ness
in the thread code that is aggravated by MySQL.

A update to the code was put into the -current for testing and comment earlier
this week, and will be back-ported to -stable when ready.

as for the original poster (chas) I'd say go for setting up the new box w/
apache and mail, and cvsup the 3.2-stable a couple of weeks from now
(expecting the code is in by then), and then move your MySQL server over.

>        Performance on our database (~5 million records spread over
> around 300-400 tables) has been staggering, in some cases quite scary :-)
> (Especially compared to other SQL servers we have tried).

<aol>me too</aol>
Same-o here, no problems. But enuf folks have had problems that I would be a
bit skittish of moving from a known production box to a (possible) unknown.

Regards,
---
Don Read                                 dread@stripped
EDP Manager                                  dread@stripped
Calcasieu Lumber Co.                               Austin TX
-- But I'm in good company, sendmail has kicked a great many
     butts in the past
Thread
mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul