List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kelly Yancey Date:June 29 1999 2:52pm
Subject:RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?
View as plain text

  I've been running mysql on FreeBSD 3.2-stable for a couple of different
applications. Admittingly, neither have *huge* tables (not yet at least),
but it has really been good to me. One application is a CGI written in C
(thus usingt he mysql C interface) that serves banner ads for
http://www.vaweddings.com and really smokes (it is running on a Celeron/333,
IDE hard drives...nothing fancy); that one is optimized such that most
operations are SELECTs (the UPDATEs are pooled and written at once to
prevent multiple updates to the same record). The other is the database that
the collects data and produces stats at
http://www.posi.net/freebsd/Team-FreeBSD/graphs/; it contains considerably
more records and performs more INSERTs than anything else.
  The same machine is also a mail server for 40 domains (over 600 mailboxes)
and it runs apache+php3 (however ,I haven't gotten a chance to play with PHP
yet). So it sounds like my setup isn't really that different from
yours...and on this (somewhat low-end hardware) FreeBSD doesn't break a
sweat. The average system load is 0.00, however I have seen it spike at 0.88
when people were checking their mail (poppers).
  I should mention, though, that the machine has *plenty* of RAM (384meg
physical + 768meg swap).

  I have seen the same comments on this mail list that I believe you are
alluding to. I would like to add to the record, that I have *never* had any
problem with MySQL. I installed it from the FreeBSD ports collection and it
has served me reliably ever since.
  I know of others who have had "problems" with MySQL on FreeBSD using SMP.
Apparently the way that FreeBSD does kernel locking and the way the MySQL
does it's own locking is redundanct and can actually cause MySQL to run
slower when you have multiple processors rather than faster. This has not
been my personal experience (I've never used an SMP system), but I thought I
would pass it along.

  Kelly
 ~kbyanc@stripped~
  FreeBSD - The Power To Serve - http://www.freebsd.org/
  Join Team FreeBSD - http://www.posi.net/freebsd/Team-FreeBSD

Thread
mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul