MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Scott Hess Date:June 28 1999 9:55pm
Subject:Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?
View as plain text
Just to weigh in on the opposing team... when we started doing some
benchmarks to probe our upper loading limits, we were concerned about how
low the ceiling seemed to be.  As a test, we tried using RedHat6.0 (kernel
2.2.10).  It _was_ faster.  It wasn't 4x-5x faster, it was maybe 10% faster
compared to FreeBSD3.1.  On the downside, when Linux was running under high
load, network logins were unresponsive, while FreeBSD under high load was
quite responsive.  [If you're ever under unplanned high load, the
responsiveness of the machine is very very important!]

It's possible that the benchmarks only stress areas where Linux shines.  As
with all benchmarks, you're going to have to try running things under a load
representative of _your_ usage before you can say much...

Later,
scott