List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Suresh Rajagopalan Date:June 28 1999 9:37pm
Subject:Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?
View as plain text
Based on the benchmark suite provided with the distribution,
MySQL on Linux is about 4x-5x faster on the same hardware than FreeBSD.
My comparison was between the 2.2.10 kernel vs 3.1 FreeBSD.

I'm not sure why though.  Perhaps certain C function calls are more
expensive in FreeBSD?

-S

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, chas wrote:

> I've noticed a number of posts pertaining to problems
> running MySQL on FreeBSD and am not sure whether these
> were general MySQL-on-FBSD problems or just particular to
> individual users. I'm about to buy a new server and
> would like to move our MySQL db's (and apache, mail etc)
> from our current Linux box to FreeBSD on this new server.
> (simply b/c I've had less trouble with FreeBSD as an OS).
>
> Leaving the wider FreeBSD vs Linux argument aside,
> and just looking at the server's role in running MySQL,
> is there any reason why FreeBSD would not be a good
> choice for running MySQL ?
>
> It's easier if I get this right from the start than try
> to patch a production machine later in the day so input
> from experienced users is much appreciated,
>
> chas

mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul