List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Ying Date:June 25 1999 1:39am
Subject:Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guys
View as plain text
On 24 Jun 1999, Derick H Siddoway wrote:

> Sasha Pachev wrote:
> >Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> will
> >>
> >> One word: Scalability. You don't always know the load over time in
> >> advance and where it is going to peak. You could throw more boxes at the
> >> problem, however that becomes more difficult to manage. And for management
> >> purposes, having as few O/S's and boxes to deal with is generally
> >> preferable to a hodgepodge.
> >>
> >> And just for the record, the vast majority of my admin experience is with
> >> BSDi/FreeBSD. :-)
> >
> >So I buy a low-end Sun for $5000 because I do not want do spend $100,000
> >to throw it away and buy one for $100,000 when the $5000 guy cannot
> >handle the load?
>
> Something like that, but you buy the scalability.  I probably wouldn't
> get an Ultra-10 (for $5000) to be a server, but I would get an E-3000
> with only a couple of processors and a gig of memory to start out a
> project.  Then, if you really do hit a processor/memory ceiling, you
> have the option to add 4 more cpus and 5 gig of memory, and you're
> still in under the $100,000 -- and you haven't thrown anything away.
>
> Intel supposedly has the same capabilities, but it's scarier.  Buying a 4-way
> capable system with one cpu and adding more cpus later doesn't always
> work.  (Never, in my experience.)

Is it really scarier?  How so?  We're having the same arguments right now
as we struggle to choose to pay more for UltraSPARC when with the same
money we could purchase more x86.  Using the $5k example, you could
purchase an Ultra10 class SPARC or $6k for an UltraAXi class server w/ 1GB
RAM and a few SCSI disks whereas with the same money, you could buy two
2xPIII-450 servers with the same RAM and disk and do physical/logical
clustering or just have a hot spare.

In this example, why would you still go SPARC?

> Also, having an SMP system is a big win when you're using threaded
> applications, such as mysql -- a win that you lose when you split the
> database out over several different intel boxes.  And 'round here,
> network latency is a bigger problem than I would have thought, so
> adding traffic to the <spit> token ring isn't something I'd relish.

Thread
mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul