MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From: Date:January 1 1970 12:00am
Subject:Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guys
View as plain text
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Sasha Pachev wrote:

> I have never seen a situation where Intel+BSD or Linux was not powerful
> enough for a company's MySQL server. Maybe I have not been around long
> enough... Can anybody share some examples when they had to go to the Big
> Guys (SGI, HP, Sun, etc) for their hardware solution for MySQL for
> non-political reasons and when it actually improved performance.
>
> I can understand when you get 64 processor Sun because you are
> processing so  much data that you actually have to have 64 CPU's, but
> why would you get a low end Sun or HP when an equivalent Intel box will
> cost much less and will do the job just as well?

There are a couple of reasons that are not directly political.
Let's set up a few things first.
1) you are with a company that has cash and can insist on buying supported
   hardware like IBM, Compaq, ...
2) your company insists on a system that can have 7x24 support from the
   manufacturer

at this point the cost of a PC is no worse than the cost of an equivilant
workstation.

I have 10 support people and company policy insists on traning them on any
new HW/OS that we own.(generaly this is a good policy but sadly not many
can afford it) the cost of providing Linux/BSD training can easly cost
$2,000.00 so now my $1,000.00 PC purchase has become a $21,000.00
investment.

I have a data acqusition package that I want to use with MySQL but it is
only availble on Sun. Do I buy 2 systems?

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974
alvin@stripped              ||

Thread
mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul