MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Foley Date:June 24 1999 11:41am
Subject:RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guys
View as plain text

	I'm fairly certain the tables would have to be dumped and imported,
but one of the reasons I run Solaris on Intel (A very viable choice, IMHO)
is the migration path to Sparc boxes.

	I've been running Solaris on a Dell PowerEdge 4100, dual pentium pro
200, dual power supply, with external hardware RAID 5 array (27 GB), for
over two years with absolutely no downtime. This machine is pulling
quintriple duty providing NFS/NIS, MySQL and Oracle, Apache and PHP, SAMBA,
and routing (to keep NT corruption OFF of my UNIX network.)

	One very significant benifit I've found is the near universal
availability (read easily compiled _or_ binary dists) of opensource
software. Sparc, Intel, and PowerPC Solaris use identical API's, so
everything short of assembly will run on Intel if it was developed for
Sparc.

	The last I looked, a multiprocessor unlimited client server version
of Solaris x86 was about $1500, and version 7 (or 2.7, or SunOS 5.5.7
depending on who you ask  :)  comes with SSL web server, single-server
version of Legato Networker (as "Sostice Backup"), among others.

	All told, I've got a server-intent machine, supported by a large
commercial organization (my management made the leap of faith required to
install their first network in about 1993. We are on the cutting edge of
early 80's technology. Obviously, Linux is still taboo here.) with uptime
unthinkable if the same box were running NT, at least 40% faster then the
same box running NT, which has always supported many large commercial
"vertical" applications such as Oracle server.

	In short, I built an SMP server out of name brand components,
OpenSource and expensive software, with a direct migration path (needing
only to re-compile that which is compiled) to much MUCH larger systems, for
under $30,000. I figured this to be about half of an equivilent SPARC server
such as an ultra Enterprise 2.

					John

Thread
mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul