MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul D. Smith Date:June 23 1999 7:02pm
Subject:Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements
View as plain text
%% Sasha Pachev <sasha@stripped> writes:

  sp> A few negative comments about HP-UX. I was in the process of
  sp> installing GCC on HP-UX 10.10 and discovered that HP gives you a
  sp> stripped down cc compiler unless you buy a separate package. This
  sp> stupid lame cc cannot handle ANSI prototypes, and dies compiling
  sp> bison! LAMERS! If someone made me code such a lame compiler I
  sp> would quit the company immediately even before I had found another
  sp> job! Needless to say, HP-UX will be at the bottom of my list,
  sp> maybe only a few points higher than NT, when I recommend a
  sp> hardware/software solution.

This is quite common among UNIX vendors these days.  SunOS 4.x never
came with anything but an old K&R C compiler.  Solaris (SunOS 5.x+)
doesn't come with _any_ C compiler at all, not even a K&R one.  AIX is
similar, IIRC.

No problem, though; GCC exists.

However, HP-UX really _is_ lame because they use this proprietary object
code format (or was it symbol table format?  Can't remember) that means
that you can't use GDB if you use their tools (assembler, was it?  How
quickly the mind goes).

Solaris may not have a C compiler at all, but at least their system is
quite standard ELF (and you can just hop over to www.sunfreeware.com and
download all the latest and greatest GNU, etc. stuff, precompiled and
prepackaged...)

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@stripped>         Network Management Development
mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker10 Jun
  • mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsMichael Widenius10 Jun
    • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev23 Jun
        • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsJesse Becker23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)23 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statementsSasha Pachev24 Jun
      • Re: mysql_install_db fails on initial SQL statements(Paul D. Smith)24 Jun
      • Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysSasha Pachev24 Jun
            • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysPatrick Greenwell24 Jun
          • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big Guysathompso24 Jun
        • Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysUnknown Sender24 Jun
RE: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysJohn Foley24 Jun
  • concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas29 Jun
    • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Jon Drukman29 Jun
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Suresh Rajagopalan29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Scott Hess29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Vivek Khera29 Jun
    • RE: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Kelly Yancey29 Jun
      • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Karl Pielorz1 Jul
        • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Don Read1 Jul
          • Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?chas7 Jul
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysFred Lindberg24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway24 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysKevin Ying25 Jun
Re: Intel+BSD/Linux vs the Big GuysDerick H Siddoway28 Jun
Re: concerns running MySQL on FreeBSD ?Nazar7 Jul