MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jawarren Date:June 22 1999 11:49pm
Subject:Re: Text Field Sizes and PHP (was: Access -> myODBC or -> textfile?)
View as plain text
Thanks to everyone for their very helpful suggestions.

I've decided to try using a web forms approach which leads to
the following questions:

1. What is the biggest realistic size of a text field in a SQL
database? IOW, should the articles themselves be stored within
[their own table of] the database or maintained as seperate files
that are referenced by the database (probably using some weird
generated number).

2. (This question is conditional on the answer to Q1.) Are there
any complications I need to know about before attempting to write
a Perl or PHP script to put data from an HTTP uploaded textfile
into a mySQL database? Would things be much easier for all concerned
if cut&paste to a <textarea/> was used instead?

3. This is off-topic, but I figure this crowd will know: I know
(without ever having actually used it) that PHP is good for inputting
and outputting to a database, but is it really appropriate as
a full fledged CGI scripting language? I want to be able to do
HTTP uploads and regexp parsing of off-site  (HTTP) HTML files
-- should I fight for my right to use Perl?

TIA,
Jared Warren (jawarren@stripped)
Cyber U Educational Services

-----

Re: Text Field Sizes and PHP (was: Access -> myODBC or -> textfile?)jawarren23 Jun
  • Re: Text Field Sizes and PHP (was: Access -> myODBC or ->textfile?)Mike Hanney23 Jun
    • keyword search data structurePatrick Wirz6 Jul
    • Re: keyword search data structureSasha Pachev7 Jul
    • Re: keyword search data structurePatrick Wirz7 Jul
    • Re: keyword search data structureSasha Pachev8 Jul