MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sander Pilon Date:September 10 2000 6:28pm
Subject:RE: MySQL *crash* on Fulltext & FullText conclusion so far
View as plain text
The crash also happens if I populate a table first, and then do a

mysql> ALTER TABLE article_bodies_42 ADD FULLTEXT(body);
Number of processes running now: 1
ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Preliminary conclusion about FT stuff in MySQL -

1) It produces huge indexes. (Index about the size of my data, on a 40Mb
dataset)
2) Inserts are slow.
3) Searches are fast. Very fast indeed.
4) The order of articles is weird, in terms that it uses a vague ranking
scheme that isn't at all the same as the usual searchengine ranking schemes.
If you query for multiple words it can happen that an article with only one
word ranks higher than an article with all the words in the query.

My bottom line would be that FullText search is a very welcome addition to
MySQL, but I personally would welcome some modifications in terms of
ranking, control over the banned/ignored words, and ofcourse the crashes.

This concludes my FullText rampage for today :) Sorry about the spam....

-Sander

> I have this table:
>
> CREATE TABLE article_bodies_42 (
>   sql_mid int(11) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
>   body text,
>   PRIMARY KEY (sql_mid),
>   KEY body (body(1))
> );
>
> And with this query:
>
> INSERT INTO article_bodies_42 VALUES
> (11488,'HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> AHAHAHAHAH
> AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
> HAAHAHAHAH
> AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
> HAHAAHAHAH
> AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
> HAHAHAAHAH
> AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA
> HAHAHAHAAH
> AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
> HAHAHAHAHA
> AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
> HAHAHAHAHA
> HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
> AAHAHAHAHA
> HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH
> AHAAHAHAHA
> HAHAHAAHAHAHA\r\n\r\nNICE JEM
> REFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH
> AHAAHAHAHA
> HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH
> AHAHAAHAHA
> HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH
> AHAHAHAAHA
> HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
> AHAHAHAHAA
> HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH
> AHAHAHAHAH
> AAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA
> AHAHAHAHAH
> AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA');
>
> It crashes. When done one a clean table, it does not crash - but it was
> reproducable when there was table data already.

Thread
search engine.Ariel Manzur10 Sep
  • Re: search engine.James Treworgy10 Sep
  • Re: search engine.Nicolas Moldavsky10 Sep
    • Re: search engine.James Treworgy10 Sep
      • RE: search engine.Sander Pilon10 Sep
        • RE: search engine.James Treworgy10 Sep
          • RE: search engine.Sander Pilon10 Sep
            • Compile warningSander Pilon10 Sep
              • FullText documentation / code bugSander Pilon10 Sep
                • MySQL *crash* on FulltextSander Pilon10 Sep
                  • RE: MySQL *crash* on Fulltext & FullText conclusion so farSander Pilon10 Sep
                • Re: FullText documentation / code bugRob McMillin10 Sep
                  • RE: FullText documentation / code bugSander Pilon10 Sep
Re: search engine.Ariel Manzur11 Sep
  • Re: search engine.James Treworgy11 Sep
    • Re: search engine.Ariel Manzur13 Sep
Re: search engine.James Treworgy11 Sep