List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:April 4 2000 2:35am
Subject:Re: FILE privilege question
View as plain text
On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 07:20:03PM -0500, Paul DuBois wrote:
>At 7:54 PM -0400 2000-04-03, Thimble Smith wrote:
>>Yes, but why would you ever make the .my.cnf file owned by the
>>mysqld daemon's user?  That's not at all necessary.  It's not
>
>So that you can log in as that user and run client programs without
>having to type in the password all the time.

OK.  I wasn't thinking about this.  I'd still recommend against
doing it.  Make another account if you want to do this (so that
the daemon user is just that - a daemon user and nothing more).
It's probably no big deal.

The suggestion from someone else to disallow access to the raw
database files is a good idea, I think, and it shouldn't be hard
to implement.

Thanks,

Tim
--