List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<unknown Date:May 7 1999 4:25pm
Subject:Re: [somewhat offtopic]
View as plain text
Not really a helpful comment, but on all the Solaris machines I've worked
on the file access has been hellishly slow.  I think it's probably because
of the filesystem, which I believe is UFS.  If the implementation is the
same as FreeBSD's UFS subsystem, it always makes sure that the metainfo
for the filesystem is updated first, making it easier to recover from
unexpected power outages, ec.  It's more robust compared to ext2 though.

If you'd rather use Linux, there are big file patches available for the
2.0.x series, and there are also (preferable?) patches available for the
2.2.x series.  They should let you get up to 4 gig/file.

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet