MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Read Date:May 7 1999 7:52am
Subject:Re: In place of Nested SELECTs
View as plain text
Alan Zaitchik wrote:

> Can someone tell me the best way to do the following?
> I have a table, call it PERSON, with an index on SSN (char 9)
> and various data fields. Five of these fields are SSN values
> of "children", so that if you wanted to get a person's
> grandchildren you would want to do something like

What happens if a person has more than five children?

It looks like you might be better off having a seperate table
for the children, one per row, with the personID of the parent
as the foreign key...

Doesn't solve you problem, I know, but will probably help
in the long run!
--

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.
Thread