List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Zieg Date:January 6 2000 3:32am
Subject:Re: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (SHORT)
View as plain text
on 1/5/00 10:20 PM, Sasha Pachev at sasha@stripped wrote:

> Leonard Rosenbeck wrote:
>>
>> I have a rough idea of what I'm going to use for hardware for the MySQL
>> server and would like any input or comments any of you have out there.
>> The purchase of the production hardware is still a few months out, but I
>> have to finalize my budgets for it...
>
> A good approach is to develop your code on very cheap hardware (possibly the
> one you already have ), write a test suite that will benchmark it under heavy
> load, run tests, take out bugs, run more tests, take out more bugs, then
> optimize, get every bit of speed you can out of your system on cheap hardware,
> then decide what you really need.

I agree whole-heartedly.  I bought myself a shiny new eMachine for $400,
brought it up to 64MB RAM and 100mb Ethernet for an extra $40, and have yet
to encounter any load problems running FreeBSD/Apache/MySQL on the 366Mhz
Celeron.

And when I eventually do pass a threshold, maybe it'll be a year down the
road when I can get 33% more CPU for the same money as if I upgraded now.
Moore's Law is your friend.

On the other hand, I never argue against padding budgets :-)

Thread
Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)Leonard Rosenbeck6 Jan
  • RE: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)Cheng-Wei Cheng6 Jan
    • RE: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)sinisa6 Jan
  • Sequential UpdatesCheng-Wei Cheng6 Jan
    • Re: Sequential UpdatesSasha Pachev6 Jan
  • Re: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)Sasha Pachev6 Jan
    • Re: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (SHORT)Mark Zieg6 Jan
  • Re: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)Benjamin Pflugmann7 Jan
    • How do I..Cheng-Wei Cheng7 Jan
      • Re: How do I..sinisa7 Jan
      • Re: How do I..Paul DuBois7 Jan
Re: Sequential UpdatesSasha Pachev6 Jan