MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:shawn l.green Date:January 24 2018 5:16pm
Subject:Re: Examples of savepoints and transactions
View as plain text
Hello Lars,

On 1/24/2018 8:50 AM, Johan De Meersman wrote:
> What you're looking for is simple backup and restore :-)
>
> Savepoints are, simply put, markers within a transaction; allowing you to rollback
> only part of a transaction instead of the whole thing. A commit will inevitably commit the
> ENTIRE transactions, and thus remove the savepoints.
>
> A typical workflow for the kind of thing you're trying to do is to have your
> (automated) testing framework restore last night's backup after the test run. You could
> also make a backup before the test run and restore that afterwards; have an automated
> nightly db copy from prod to dev; or in very specific cases you could simply have your
> test system revert the data by issuing the "reverse" queries - although that one is rarely
> an option in real life.
>
> Another alternative would be to take a filesystem (or virtual machine) snapshot, and
> revert to that after the tests. Filesystem snapshots will require your database to be
> stopped and started, though.
>
> /Johan

Is table2 what you want to return to its earlier state?

Other techniques to do what Johan suggested include:
* Make a copy of your "base" data for each test run. That way you don't
change your starting point. When that test run is over, drop the copy.
This way your "data to be tested" exists (or ceases to exist) outside
the boundaries of the transactions you are creating to test/change that
data but the original state of that data persists somewhere else.

* Use a non-transactional storage engine for table3 (being
non-transactional means that the changes you store there will not be
affected by a ROLLBACK or COMMIT. They become "permanent" the moment you
do them).

Yours,

--
Shawn Green
Oracle USA, Inc. - Integrated Cloud Applications & Platform Services

Become certified in MySQL! Visit https://www.mysql.com/certification/
for details.
Thread
Examples of savepoints and transactionsLars Nielsen21 Jan
  • Re: Examples of savepoints and transactionsshawn l.green22 Jan
    • Re: Examples of savepoints and transactionsLars Nielsen23 Jan
      • Re: Examples of savepoints and transactionsJohan De Meersman24 Jan
        • Re: Examples of savepoints and transactionsLars Nielsen24 Jan
        • Re: Examples of savepoints and transactionsshawn l.green24 Jan