List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Leonard Rosenbeck Date:January 5 2000 10:28pm
Subject:Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)
View as plain text
Hello everybody

(if it's not too much of a problem, please cc: me in any reply as I
subscribe to the digest version of the list and would like to get your

I am in the process planning a database driven site using PHP and MySQL.
I have a rough idea of what I'm going to use for hardware for the MySQL
server and would like any input or comments any of you have out there.
The purchase of the production hardware is still a few months out, but I
have to finalize my budgets for it...
The plan is to build a really strong server with the intention of doing
one way replication to slave servers when (optimism) load becomes an
issue (Hopefully, Monty will have 1-way replication working soon).  I
would like to put replication off as long as possible for the sake of
simplicity.  All inserts would be done to the master server and then
replicate to the slaves.  The application will be about 80%/20%
SELECTS/(UPDATES+INSERTS) so this should work well. Most of the selects
will be on 1 of 2 large tables (with occasional joins) with up to
200,000 records.

Pentium III (or AMD Athlon if the upcoming motherboard offerings are
good)  800MHZ or more --hopefully > 1GHZ :)
1024MG RAM
3x Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Controller
EXTERNAL SCSI SUBSYSTEM
	1 SCSI-SCSI RAID CONTROLLER  (most likely Mylex)  128MB CACHE --Write
Back, 72 Hour Battery Backup for Cache Memory
	2x9GB 10,000 RPM U2W Drives (Configured as RAID 1) for OS files -- this
will be the boot partition) connected to controller #1
	5*18GB 10,000 RPM U2W Drives (RAID 5 for MySQL Database files)
connected to controller #2
2x4GB 10,000RPM U2W Drives connected to controller #3 (each configured
as swap)  (I don't think i'll really need 8GB of swap, but it's really
nice to  split your swap across multiple drives
A really high quality 100MB Ethernet Card (Intel something or other -- i
don't have the model handy)

--

Does anybody have any performance stats on an Athlon???

Is this enough RAM?

I'm leaning strongly toward running FreeBSD (more on this below) as I am
much more competent with it (I haven't touched a Linux kernel since
1.2.12).

FreeBSD isn't going to use MySQL on multiple processors (damn those
userland threads), but would it still be to my benefit to use an
System??

----

<I don't mean to begin a holywar, but I must ask for peoples opinions>
From what I have gathered from the mailing list archives about MySQL
performance on FreeBSD & Linux  (correct me if I am wrong), FreeBSD has
a bit better disk access, Linux is a bit faster (due to kernel threads),
but FreeBSD degrades more gracefully under HEAVY load.  Linux also
performs better in SMP as it has kernel threads (vs userland) so MySQL
threads can run on more than 1 processor.  The bottom line after
everybody has finished their pokes and jabs is: go with which ever you
are more comfortable with.

Does anybody have any reason why Linux would be a signifigantly better
choice in this particular implementation?

</holywar>

I thank you all for your time and thought

Leonard Rosenbeck
lgr@stripped
Thread
Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)Leonard Rosenbeck6 Jan
  • RE: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)Cheng-Wei Cheng6 Jan
    • RE: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)sinisa6 Jan
  • Sequential UpdatesCheng-Wei Cheng6 Jan
    • Re: Sequential UpdatesSasha Pachev6 Jan
  • Re: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)Sasha Pachev6 Jan
    • Re: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (SHORT)Mark Zieg6 Jan
  • Re: Request for opinions regarding perfomance (LONG)Benjamin Pflugmann7 Jan
    • How do I..Cheng-Wei Cheng7 Jan
      • Re: How do I..sinisa7 Jan
      • Re: How do I..Paul DuBois7 Jan
Re: Sequential UpdatesSasha Pachev6 Jan