MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Augori Date:August 20 2014 2:39pm
Subject:mysqld_safe running a long time
View as plain text
Hi all,

mysql db has been starting in safe mode for 12 hours.  I don't know if I
should stop it or if I do, what will happen.  I'm hoping one of you can
help.

Here's how I got into this mess:
After a operating system change (CentOS 5 to CentOS 6), my Python script
could no longer connect with mysql database.  Others are connecting with
PHP using the same credentials as I am. So, following a comment on this
page:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8484722/access-denied-for-user-rootlocalhost-while-attempting-to-grant-privileges

I tried
/usr/bin/mysql_upgrade -u root -p (password)

This failed, so I tried to stop, restart in safe mode, and do the upgrade,
as suggested on this page:

http://blog.philippklaus.de/2011/02/solved-mysql_upgrade-failes-due-to-1045-access-denied/

However, it's been 12 hours now and the thing is still restarting in safe
mode and I can't tell if it's making progress.  The command I typed was

/usr/bin/mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables&

I think I forgot to include the ampersand (&) at the end which would have
made it run in the background.

So now I'm seeing output like this the following:
-------
0-7f5f68388000 rw-p 00000000 00:00 0
7f5f68388000-7f5f6838900140820 08:35:01 mysqld_safe Number of processes
running now: 0
140820 08:35:01 mysqld_safe mysqld restarted
--------

It always says Number of processes running now is 0.
And it always has the number 140820 on that last line.

Should I stop this?  If so how?  If I let it go, is it going to take
another 2-3 days to restart in regular mode?  Does anything have any
alternative suggestions for my original credentials access problem?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give,
Auguri

Thread
mysqld_safe running a long timeAugori20 Aug
  • Re: mysqld_safe running a long timeReindl Harald20 Aug
    • Re: mysqld_safe running a long timeAugori20 Aug
      • Re: mysqld_safe running a long timeReindl Harald20 Aug
    • Re: mysqld_safe running a long timeAugori20 Aug
      • Re: mysqld_safe running a long timeReindl Harald20 Aug
        • Re: mysqld_safe running a long timeAugori21 Aug