MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Yves Goergen Date:August 9 2010 9:27pm
Subject:Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)
View as plain text
Does anybody know how to use SSL-secured connections to a MySQL server?
Has anybody done that at all?

In the manual I have now found the following statement:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/ssl-options.html
> Note that use of --ssl does not require an SSL connection. For
> example, if the server or client is compiled without SSL support, a
> normal unencrypted connection is used.

What's that supposed to mean? If there's no way to force the connection
into SSL, it is entirely useless. Anyone on the wire could simply
pretend that the server doesn't support SSL and so deny the encryption
and the client wouldn't even care...

I don't want to use REQUIRE SSL for an account that is regularly used
locally and doesn't need SSL. SSL should really be selected by the
client per connection when connecting from some other untrusted network.
The whole SSL thing looks pretty unfinished like that.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.list@stripped>
How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)Yves Goergen26 Jul
        • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)MySQL)18 Aug
          • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)Anders Kaseorg18 Aug
            • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)MySQL)18 Aug
              • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)Mark Matthews18 Aug
                • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)Yves Goergen18 Aug