MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Yves Goergen Date:July 26 2010 3:33pm
Subject:How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)
View as plain text
Hello,

I have setup a MySQL 5.1 server on Ubuntu Linux 10.4 and created an SSL
certificate and key. I updated the MySQL configuration to point to the
SSL files. There's no error message at startup in MySQL's error log.
(Before I granted the process access to the SSL files through AppArmor,
there was an error message that it couldn't get the SSL files, so I
assume MySQL really reads the file now.)

In MySQL Workbench 5.2.25 I enabled the use of SSL for the connection,
but the statement "show variables like '%ssl%'" doesn't show a value for
 ssl_cipher. Here's the entire output:

have_openssl	YES
have_ssl	YES
ssl_ca
ssl_capath
ssl_cert	/etc/ssl/private/cert-xxxx.de
ssl_cipher
ssl_key	/etc/ssl/private/cert-xxxx.de

From the wording in the client, I believe that the SSL option is pretty
much useless. It reads that it will use SSL if it's available [in the
client library]. It probably wouldn't use it too if the server didn't
support it. So in the end, it may or may not use SSL to its own liking.

Where's the switch where I can force the use of SSL? I don't want to
send my authentication data in plain text over the network before I can
even verify that SSL is in use?

And still why doesn't it use SSL in my case?

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.list@stripped>
How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)Yves Goergen26 Jul
        • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)MySQL)18 Aug
          • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)Anders Kaseorg18 Aug
            • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)MySQL)18 Aug
              • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)Mark Matthews18 Aug
                • Re: How to use SSL? (SSL is enabled but not used)Yves Goergen18 Aug