MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ningappa  Koneri Date:January 18 2010 7:31am
Subject:Regarding storing non-english chars in mysql
View as plain text
Dear all,

I have a problem in migrating a GUI app(displays multi lingual data like Arabic) which
currently uses oracle as backend db to mysql (5.1). Currenly in oracle I am using NVARCHAR
datatype to store the Arabic chars. How do I incorporate the same functionality in mysql ?
I have tried a sample servlet/jsp to insert the arabic chars into mysql by creating a
table having two columns of NATIONAL VARCHAR type, but it's not displaying Arabic chars
instead only questions marks are there.

One more thing in sample example is that before inserting I am converting to UTF-8.

Regards,
Ningappa Koneri
mLifestyle | www.comviva.com

This e-mail and all material transmitted with it are for the use of the intended
recipient(s) ONLY and contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies
and the original message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken pursuant to the contents
of the present e-mail is strictly prohibited and is unlawful.
The recipient acknowledges that Comviva Technologies Limited or its management or
directors, are unable to exercise control or ensure the integrity over /of the contents of
the information contained in e-mail. Any views expressed herein are those of the
individual sender only and no binding nature of the contents shall be implied or assumed
unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of Comviva Technologies Limited.
E-mail and any contents transmitted with it are prone to viruses and related defects
despite all efforts to avoid such by Comviva Technologies Limited.
Thread
query returning empty rowbharani kumar17 Jan
  • Re: query returning empty rowDan Nelson18 Jan
    • Re: query returning empty rowbharani kumar18 Jan
      • Regarding storing non-english chars in mysqlNingappa  Koneri18 Jan
        • RE: Regarding storing non-english chars in mysqlGavin Towey18 Jan
          • Re: Regarding storing non-english chars in mysqlfsb18 Jan
            • RE: Regarding storing non-english chars in mysqlNingappa  Koneri19 Jan
              • Re: Regarding storing non-english chars in mysqlfsb19 Jan
                • RE: Regarding storing non-english chars in mysqlJerry Schwartz19 Jan