List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gavin Towey Date:May 19 2009 6:13pm
Subject:RE: load data into temporary table
View as plain text
Hi Alex,

It is true that use LOAD DATA INFILE you do need to know the schema of the table.  I'm not
sure how useful it would be to import arbitrary data if you don't have some expectations
about what that data is.  There are a couple options for you:

1. Make sure your users upload a CSV is a specific format, reject non-conforming input.

2. Let your script transform the user uploaded CSV file into the format the database is
expecting.

3. Have your script simply parse the user uploaded CSV and generate insert statements as
needed.  Just because you want to accept CSV from your app, does not mean you must use
LOAD DATA INFILE to get the data into MySQL.

Regards,
Gavin Towey