MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:January 7 2009 5:41pm
Subject:Re: Locking database when 'creating sort index'
View as plain text
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM, David Scott
<critters@stripped>wrote:

> When we run a large query other queries start to back up when the large one
> gets to the 'creating sort index' phase, this lock seems to affect the
> whole
> server, all databases... does anyone know what may be causing this?

More specifics would be good, but if the other queries don't access that
table, perhaps I/O ? Check your (myisam_)sort_buffer_size and tmp_table_size
settings.

Also, creating indexes on the field that you're sorting on might be useful,
depending on the query.

--
Celsius is based on water temperature.
Fahrenheit is based on alcohol temperature.

Thread
Locking database when 'creating sort index'David Scott7 Jan
  • Re: Locking database when 'creating sort index'Johan De Meersman7 Jan
  • Re: Locking database when 'creating sort index'mos7 Jan
    • Re: Locking database when 'creating sort index'David Scott7 Jan
      • Re: Locking database when 'creating sort index'David Scott7 Jan
        • Re: Locking database when 'creating sort index'Chandru8 Jan
      • Re: Locking database when 'creating sort index'mos7 Jan