List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Frazier Date:January 2 2008 12:02pm
Subject:RE: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPU
View as plain text
-----Original Message-----
From: Per Jessen [mailto:per@stripped]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:51 AM
To: mysql@stripped

Gunnar R. wrote:

> I am thinking about buying a new dual core box (with IDE disks?), but
> I have to make sure this really is a hardware issue before I spend
> thousands of bucks.

I think you've got an application problem somewhere which you should look
into first.  Hardware-wise I think you're doing fine, except you could
probably increase overall performance with more memory.  MySQL is pretty
good at query-caching.

Just for general info I tested Heap tables vs the query cache, query cache
one and it makes a lot of sense why once I saw that. Even in-memory tables
can't be as fast(giving queries in the cache) because of the cost of parsing
and optimization of the query. The query cache being basicly a fast in
memory hash lookup. However, if you have a system that doesn't have a lot of
repetative queries, the Heap table would win again that just makes sense,
but my little test proved the query cache is pretty good for most things.

Thread
Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUGunnar R.2 Jan
  • Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUBaron Schwartz2 Jan
  • Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUAdy Wicaksono2 Jan
    • Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUGunnar R.3 Jan
  • Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUPer Jessen2 Jan
    • RE: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUEric Frazier2 Jan
  • RE: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUAndrew Braithwaite2 Jan
    • RE: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUGunnar R.3 Jan
      • Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUErik Giberti4 Jan
        • Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUGunnar R.8 Jan
        • Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUGunnar R.8 Jan
          • Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUKevin Hunter8 Jan
          • Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUErik Giberti9 Jan
Re: Performance problem - MySQL at 99.9% CPUKevin Hunter9 Jan