List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:dpgirago Date:June 6 2007 6:12pm
Subject:Restoring Large Tables Created with --extended-insert in mysqldump
View as plain text
Using mysqldump and mysql (Distribution 5.0.22) on CentOS:

[?]  Is it theoretically possible to create a mysqldump file using the
default --opt option (i.e., with extended-inserts...) that would create
packet sizes so large that the restore of the backup would fail because
max_allowed_packet would be exceeded?

I found the maximum value I could set "net_buffer_length" to was 1M on
mysql but it was 16M on mysqldump.

The manual page for mysqldump says:

        max_allowed_packet
The maximum size of the buffer for client/server communication. The
maximum is 1GB.
net_buffer_length
The initial size of the buffer for client/server communication. When
creating multiple-row-insert statements (as with option --extended-insert or --opt),
mysqldump creates rows up to net_buffer_length length. If you increase this variable, you
should also ensure that the net_buffer_length variable in the MySQL server is at least
this large.

Thanks,
David
Thread
Restoring Large Tables Created with --extended-insert in mysqldumpdpgirago6 Jun