MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Leith Date:May 4 2007 2:12pm
Subject:Re: Can't find file: 'general_log'
View as plain text
Baron Schwartz wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> Joseph Koenig wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running MySQL 5.0.27-standard-log on RHEL 4. After install, I
>> moved the
>> data directory of MySQL. I updated everything that SELinux complained
>> about,
>> etc., and have a functional install of MySQL. It's actually been up and
>> running with no issues for months. However, every time I run a
>> mysqldump, I
>> get:
>>
>> mysqldump: Got error: 1017: Can't find file: 'general_log' (errno: 2)
>> when
>> using LOCK TABLES
>> mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'show create table `general_log`': Can't
>> find
>> file: 'general_log' (errno: 2) (1017)
>> mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'show create table `slow_log`': Can't
>> find file:
>> 'slow_log' (errno: 2) (1017)
>>
>> My dump proceeds and just spits these errors out to me. From what I can
>> tell, no harm is done, as the dump is full and is perfectly usable for
>> restoring databases from. However, it's driving me nuts. Is there any
>> way to
>> create the necessary tables now so that MySQL does actually start
>> logging
>> everything they way it should be able to and also will make these
>> errors go
>> away? Thanks in advance,
>
> It's a hard to tell from this description what is the matter.  Can you
> connect via mysql and run "SHOW CREATE TABLE slow_log" without
> errors?  If so, what storage engine do they use?  It sounds to me like
> they might be using the CSV storage engine and the file isn't there.
> Error 2 is 'OS error code   2:  No such file or directory' according
> to perror.
>
> You probably don't want to mysqldump a big CSV file of your general
> log, at least not if you're using this for backups (but maybe you do,
> I don't know).
>
> In short, you might want to DROP the tables instead of creating them.

It looks like there was a 5.1 installation here at some point - 5.0.37
should not include the general_log or slow_log tables - these are 5.1
new features.

I suspect that you likely have general_log and slow_log frm files within
the mysql database directory, without any corresponding data files. If
this is the case then just 'rm' the general_log.frm and slow_log.frm
files from the mysql database directory, and all these errors should go
away.

Cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Leith, Support Engineer
MySQL AB, Worcester, England, www.mysql.com

Can't find file: 'general_log'Joseph Koenig4 May
  • Re: Can't find file: 'general_log'Baron Schwartz4 May
    • Re: Can't find file: 'general_log'CA Lists4 May
      • Re: Can't find file: 'general_log'Baron Schwartz4 May
        • Re: Can't find file: 'general_log'Joseph Koenig4 May
    • Re: Can't find file: 'general_log'Mark Leith4 May
      • Re: Can't find file: 'general_log'Joseph Koenig4 May