List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Quentin Bennett Date:September 19 2006 8:57pm
Subject:RE: how can I access to mysql fro m"outside"?
View as plain text
>>Does it mean the port 3306 is blocked?

Not necessarily - it could mean that MySQL didn't respond as your telnet client expected
(which is not surprising!).

The "Access denied for admin2@stripped" message comes from the server, so there
will be something wrong with your mysql.user or mysql.db tables that results in another
entry being used before this one.

Do a 'select user, host, password from user' and go through each entry in the order that
they come out and see if another entry can match your login - the manual has a good
section on how the MySQL server does this.

As another tip, I've found that

$ mysqladmin flush-privileges

is more reliable than

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

I know that they should both result in the same thing, but my experience is not so.

HTH

Quentin