List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Pipes Date:June 8 2006 5:23pm
Subject:Re: How To Pronounce MySQL
View as plain text
Jesse wrote:
> I have been using Microsoft SQL Server for a while, and I'm now trying
> to switch all our applications over to use MySQL.  Microsoft SQL Server
> is pronounced "Sequel Server".  Is MySQL pronounced "My Sequel", or is
> it pronounced "My S-Q-L"?  I mean, generally speaking?

What Jimmy G said is correct, the official pronunciation is:

"My' Ess'-Queue-El"

However, as a bit of trivia, the original pronunciation is more like:

"Mee' Ess'-Queue-El"

because My is the name of Monty's daughter, and in Swedish, the
pronunciation of My sounds more like "Me"...

:)

p.s.  That is also where "Max-DB" comes from.  Max is the name of
Monty's son, not an implication that Max-DB is "better" than MySQL.

--
Jay Pipes
Community Relations Manager, North America, MySQL Inc.

Are You MySQL Certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification
Got Cluster? http://www.mysql.com/cluster
Thread
How To Pronounce MySQLJesse8 Jun
  • RE: How To Pronounce MySQLPeter Lauri8 Jun
  • RE: How To Pronounce MySQLPeter Lauri8 Jun
  • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLIan Sales8 Jun
  • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLJay Pipes8 Jun
    • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLJake Peavy8 Jun
  • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLChris White9 Jun
    • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLDuane Hill9 Jun
      • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLDaniel da Veiga9 Jun
        • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLChris White9 Jun
        • RE: How To Pronounce MySQLSamuel C Flores9 Jun
          • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLChris White9 Jun
          • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLJesse12 Jun
            • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLPat Adams12 Jun
RE: How To Pronounce MySQLJay Blanchard8 Jun
  • RE: How To Pronounce MySQLJimmy Guerrero8 Jun
    • RE: How To Pronounce MySQLChris Sansom8 Jun
      • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLGabriel Mahiques8 Jun
RE: How To Pronounce MySQLJay Blanchard8 Jun
Re: How To Pronounce MySQLJesse8 Jun
  • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLMelvin Zamora9 Jun
    • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLGabriel Mahiques9 Jun
      • Re: How To Pronounce MySQLRedRed!com IT Department9 Jun