MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kishore Jalleda Date:May 18 2006 8:17pm
Subject:Re: Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
View as plain text
On 5/18/06, Kishore Jalleda <kjalleda@stripped> wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Dan Trainor <dan@stripped> wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > I'm trying to import some data into a MySQL database, which was dumped
> > from mysqldump.  Just looking at the .sql file generated, there's only
> > about 7000 lines, on an 800M dump.  I guess this tells me I have some
> > extremely long lines, which would be happy to take up more than
> > 'max_allowed_packet' bytes, which is set to 16M.
> >
> > The specific error I get is:
> >
> > ERROR 1153 (08S01) at line 3132: Got a packet bigger than
> > 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
> >
> > Using:
> >
> > mysql -uroot -p database < /tmp/800MSQLFile.sql
> >
> > under MySQL 5.0.21.
> >
> > I don't have much experience importing data in this manner, so maybe I'm
> > missing something here.  If anyone wouldn't mind sharing some tips on
> > how to do this, I would grealy appreciate it.
> >
> > Should I increase max_allowed_packet even further?  Is there a way to
> > make this value "adaptive", as to avoid error?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -dant
> >
> > --
> >

> Check this
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/packet-too-large.html
>
> Kishore Jalleda

Just to add a little note, pay special attention to the lines which say

-->Both the client and the server have their own max_allowed_packet
variable, so if you want to handle big packets, you must increase this
variable both in the client and in the server.

-->If you are using the mysql client program, its default
max_allowed_packet variable is 16MB. --To set a larger value, start
mysql like this:

-->shell> mysql --max_allowed_packet=32M

-->That sets the packet size to 32MB.

So thats the catch here...

Kishore Jalleda
http://kjalleda.googlepages.com/mysqlprojects
Thread
Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytesDan Trainor18 May
  • Re: Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytesKishore Jalleda18 May
    • Re: Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytesDan Trainor18 May
    • Re: Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytesKishore Jalleda18 May