MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rob Lacey Date:February 10 2006 12:46pm
Subject:Problems Starting MySQL
View as plain text
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on a problem I am experiencing.

I am running MySQL 4.1 on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant
Update 2) machine.

I have been trying to get the default /etc/init.d/mysqld script to restart the
server but I keep running into the same problems. The MySQL server itself is
running at the moment and has a number of live databases on it.

060209 18:40:43  mysqld started
060209 18:40:43 [Warning] Can't create test
file /var/lib/mysql/thirdeye.lower-test
/usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/var/lib/mysql/' (Errcode: 13)
060209 18:40:43 [ERROR] Aborting

060209 18:40:43 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete

060209 18:40:43  mysqld ended

I can't see where the thirdeye.lower-test file creation is coming into this at
all. Since as far as can see the startup script doesn't seem to call any
script to create test databases. Is this part of mysqld_safe?

I can also see that /var/lib/mysql is already owned by mysql.mysql with 755
permissions. Indeed the RedHat startup script makes this so. Therefore the
permissions error seems extremely odd as they seem fine to me.

I can start the server using the following directly on the command line, which
is what the startup script ultimately runs anyway.

/usr/bin/mysqld_safe  --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf
--pid-file= /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid > /dev/null 2>&1 &

Can anyone give me something further to go on?

Many thanks.

Rob
Thread
Problems Starting MySQLRob Lacey10 Feb
  • Re: Problems Starting MySQLsheeri kritzer10 Feb
    • Re: Problems Starting MySQLRob Lacey10 Feb
      • Re: Problems Starting MySQLRob Lacey13 Feb