MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:George Law Date:January 23 2006 3:09pm
Subject:Database backups
View as plain text
Just a quick question regarding mysql backups.

I know myisam tables are portal from machine to machine, but I know
there are some differences
Between innodb tables.

I am running mysql 5.0.18 on suse linux 10.  I have innodb set up so it
stores each table in its own
.idb file.

I've read that innodb tables are not portable from server to server, my
question is if I grab the whole
mysql/data directory, can it be restored back on the same computer in
the event of a crash.  Do I need
to enable binlog to do this?

I plan on giving myself about a 1 hour maintenance window where all my
import scripts skip importing and
then just copying the entire mysql/data directory to a back up server
where I will tar/gzip the data and push
it out to a back up directory so it will get dumped to tape.

--
Geo

Thread
Database backupsGeorge Law23 Jan
  • Re: Database backupsGleb Paharenko24 Jan
  • Re: Database backupssheeri kritzer25 Jan
  • Re: Database backupsalexj26 Jan