MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:December 23 2005 10:46am
Subject:MySQL 5.1.4-alpha has been released
View as plain text
Hi,

MySQL 5.1.4-alpha, a new version of the popular Open Source Database
Management System, has been released. The Community Edition is now
available in source and binary form for a number of platforms from our
download pages at
    http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/
and mirror sites.

Note that not all mirror sites may be up to date at this point in time -
if you can't find this version on some mirror, please try again later or
choose another download site.

This is a new alpha development release, adding new features and fixing
recently discovered bugs.

Please refer to our bug database at http://bugs.mysql.com/ for more
details about the individual bugs fixed in this version.

We welcome and appreciate your feedback!

News from the ChangeLog:

Functionality added or changed:
   * It is now possible to build the server such that MyISAM tables can
     support up to 128 keys rather than the standard 64. This can be done
     by configuring the build using the option --with-max-indexes=N,
     where N<=128 is the maximum number of indexes to permit per table.
     (Bug #10932 (http://bugs.mysql.com/10932))
   * The bundled BDB library was upgraded to version 4.4.16.
   * Added the cp1250_polish_ci collation for the cp1250 character set.
   * Added the myisam_use_mmap system variable.
   * Added the --bdb-data-direct and --bdb-log-direct server options.

Bugs fixed:
   * BDB: A DELETE, INSERT, or UPDATE of a BDB table could cause the
     server to crash where the query contained a subquery using an index
     read. (Bug #15536 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15536))
   * A left join on a column that having a NULL value could cause the
     server to crash. (Bug #15268 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15268))
   * It was not possible to reorganize a partition reusing a discarded
     partition name.
     Now, for example, you can create a table such as this one:
          CREATE TABLE t1 (a INT)
              PARTITION BY RANGE (a) (
              PARTITION p0 VALUES LESS THAN (10),
              PARTITION p1 VALUES LESS THAN (20),
              PARTITION p2 VALUES LESS THAN MAXVALUE
          );
     and then repartition it as shown here:
          ALTER TABLE t1 REORGANIZE PARTITION p2 INTO (
              PARTITION p2 VALUES LESS THAN (30)
          );
     Previously, attempting to do so would produce the error All
     partitions must have unique names in the table.
     (Bug #15521 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15521))
   * NDB Cluster: The --ndb option for perror did not function.
     (Bug #15486 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15486))
   * The BLACKHOLE storage engine did not handle transactions properly:
     Rolled-back transactions were written to the binary log. Now they
     are not. (Bug #15406 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15406))
   * NDB Cluster: Using ORDER BY primary_key_column when selecting from a
     table having the primary key on a VARCHAR column caused a forced
     shutdown of the cluster.
     (Bug #14828 (http://bugs.mysql.com/14828),
     Bug #15240 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15240),
     Bug #15682 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15682),
     Bug #15517 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15517))
   * ANALYZE TABLE did not properly update table statistics for a MyISAM
     table with a FULLTEXT index containing stopwords, so a subsequent
     ANALYZE TABLE would not recognize the table as having already been
     analyzed. (Bug #14902 (http://bugs.mysql.com/14902))
   * The maximum value of MAX_ROWS was handled incorrectly on 64-bit
     systems. (Bug #14155 (http://bugs.mysql.com/14155))
   * Multiple-table update operations were counting updates and not
     updated rows. As a result, if a row had several updates it was
     counted several times for the "rows matched" value but updated only
     once. (Bug #15028 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15028))
   * SELECT queries that began with an opening parenthesis were not being
     placed in the query cache.
     (Bug #14652 (http://bugs.mysql.com/14652))
   * Space truncation was being ignored when inserting into BINARY or
     VARBINARY columns. Now space truncation results in a warning, or an
     error in strict mode. (Bug #14299 (http://bugs.mysql.com/14299))
   * Selecting from a view processed with the temptable algorithm caused
     a server crash if the query cache was enabled.
     (Bug #15119 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15119))
   * Creating a view that referenced a stored function that selected from
     a view caused a crash upon selection from the view.
     (Bug #15096 (http://bugs.mysql.com/15096))
   * Creating a view within a stored procedure could result in an out of
     memory error or a server crash.
     (Bug #14885 (http://bugs.mysql.com/14885))
   * SHOW CREATE DATABASE was sometimes refused when the client had
     privileges for the database.
     (Bug #9785 (http://bugs.mysql.com/9785))
   * mysql ignored the MYSQL_TCP_PORT environment variable.
     (Bug #5792 (http://bugs.mysql.com/5792))
   * ROW_COUNT() returned an incorrect result after EXECUTE of a prepared
     statement.
     (Bug #14956 (http://bugs.mysql.com/14956))
   * Invalid casts to DATE values now result in a message of Incorrect
     datetime value, rather than Truncated incorrect datetime value.
     (Bug #8294 (http://bugs.mysql.com/8294))
   * Attempts to assign NULL to a NOT NULL column in strict mode now
     result in a message of Column 'col_name' cannot be null, rather than
     Column set to default value; NULL supplied to NOT NULL column
     'col_name' at row n. (Bug #11491 (http://bugs.mysql.com/11491))
   * For binary string data types, mysqldump --hex-blob produced an
     illegal output value of 0x rather than ''.
     (Bug #13318 (http://bugs.mysql.com/13318))
   * Some comparisons for the IN() operator were inconsistent with
     equivalent comparisons for the = operator.
     (Bug #12612 (http://bugs.mysql.com/12612))

Additional notes:
   * We have upgraded the compiler suite used to build MySQL on Windows
     from Visual Studio 6.0 to Visual Studio .Net 2003.
     This change has become necessary as we have become aware of problems
     with the old compiler. We are sorry for the inconvenience to those
     who compile on Windows from source, but had no better choice.
   * This compiler change forces a change of the project files, from
     ".dsp" (Visual Studio 6.0) to ".vcproj" (Visual Studio .Net 2003).
     The ".dsp" files are no longer maintained, those that are still
     contained in the source package may be invalid, they will be
     removed later. This also applies to our current and future versions
     of the 4.1 and 5.0 release series.
   * Currently, in the 5.1 release series we only publish "noinstall"
     packages for Windows; installer packages will be added in some
     future version.
   * Also, we currently do not create RPM packages of the 5.1 release
     series. We ask our linux users to use "tar.gz" packages until we
     later add RPM again.
   * For the time being, we only publish "max" binaries of the 5.1
     release series. We are currently not doing "debug" builds for
     publishing.
   * The machine we use to build binaries for OpenBSD has been upgraded
     from version 3.7 to 3.8.
     This also affects our future versions of other release series.

Enjoy!
    Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Thread
MySQL 5.1.4-alpha has been releasedJoerg Bruehe23 Dec