MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:BÁRTHÁZI András Date:November 8 2005 6:55pm
Subject:Re: character sets.....(missing info)
View as plain text
Hi,

> if the character_set_client is by default latin1, does that mean that
> the java application is sending latin1?or is it changed at runtime?
> kind of lost again.....

As I understand, the charset of the column/table/database is irrelevant,
there will be no conversion if you query from or insert into the table.
There *is* conversion, but it depends on the communication settings -
and it is detailed in the documentation. The character_set_* variables
are your friend: *_client, *_connection and *_results as I know.

If you want to solve your problem, then just run a "set names utf8" SQL
query before querying the data for the *XML* file, and you will get the
data in UTF-8. Or just put a header into the XML file that says your
data in Latin1 (I think it's not so easy in Java).

Anyway, I don't know, how Java handles the character sets related to
MySQL at the client side, but it works well for the console and for PHP
and Perl clients.

Bye,
   Andras

ps: The column charset will be used for collations, and maybe for string
functions, as I know. I'm planning to test it to make sure, and write a
Hungarian article about it, but I think you won't be happy with it. :)
Thread
character sets.....mel list_php8 Nov
  • character sets.....(missing info)mel list_php8 Nov
    • Re: character sets.....(missing info)BÁRTHÁZI András8 Nov
      • Re: character sets.....(missing info)mel list_php9 Nov
        • Re: character sets.....(missing info)BÁRTHÁZI András9 Nov
          • [OT]Re: character sets.....(missing info)mel list_php14 Nov
        • Re: character sets.....(missing info)BÁRTHÁZI András20 Nov