MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jacques Marneweck Date:October 21 2005 3:09pm
Subject:Re: Should I buy commercial license?
View as plain text
Kenji HIROHAMA wrote:
> (I've posted to forums, but also send to this ML.)
>
> Hi,
>
> I took a look at mysql.com, but I still have a question about
> commercial license.
>
> If we build and host a web-system with MySQL, which provide services
> to customers not for free.
> Customers pay for our services.
>
> In this case, we don't distribute our softwre/system directly to our customers.
>
> I heard from someone of MySQL AB, probaly CEO, that people should buy
> commercial license if MySQL Server is used for their business. (in
> other words, making profit with MySQL Server.)
>
> Should we buy commercial license in my case?

Hi Hirohama,

Due to the fact that MySQL is licensed under a dual licensing system,
you do not need to purchase a license of MySQL for using the database
software for commercial use.  You have a choice in the case that you
don't like the terms of the GPL license[1], you can choose to license
the software under a commercial license[2] from MySQL AB.

For example you write a web interface to access data stored on a MySQL
database, you do not need a license for MySQL, in terms of the GPL and
you can freely utilise any version of MySQL which has been licensed
under the GPL even if they change the license for future versions of
MySQL you can continue to use the last version which was released under
the GPL.

Regards
--jm

[1] http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/opensource-license.html
[2] http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html

--
Jacques Marneweck
http://www.powertrip.co.za/blog/

Thread
Should I buy commercial license?Kenji HIROHAMA21 Oct
  • Re: Should I buy commercial license?Jacques Marneweck21 Oct
    • Re: Should I buy commercial license?RedRed!com IT Department21 Oct
    • Re: Should I buy commercial license?Kenji HIROHAMA22 Oct
  • Re: Should I buy commercial license?Gleb Paharenko22 Oct
  • Re: Should I buy commercial license?Alexey Polyakov23 Oct
    • Re: Should I buy commercial license?Jasper Bryant-Greene23 Oct
      • Re: Should I buy commercial license?Kenji HIROHAMA24 Oct
        • Re: Should I buy commercial license?Jasper Bryant-Greene24 Oct
          • Re: Should I buy commercial license?Kenji HIROHAMA24 Oct
RE: Should I buy commercial license?SST - Adelaide)24 Oct